top of page

Health News
A great place to visit for animal health tips.
Bannister Veterinary Clinic

Common Toxicoses in Animals

Dogs and cats can be exposed to a variety of toxic products, medications, and plants every day. We wanted to inform you of some of the most common ones we see in practice. The ASPCA Animal Control Center is a valuable resource for us and to you as pet owners. You can visit their website at It is always important to remember that products that are safe for us are not always safe for our pets. Please contact your veterinarian if you have any questions or concerns regarding a possible toxin ingestion in your pet.

Bannister Veterinary Clinic

Over-the-counter pain medication toxicity

Several over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers can cause serious health problems for your dog or cat. Ibuprofen can cause gastrointestinal, kidney, and neurologic problems while acetaminophen ingestion can produce liver disease. Please contact your veterinarian before giving your pet ANY over-the-counter medication.

Bannister Veterinary Clinic

Xylitol toxicity

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol present in sugar free gums and candies. Ingestion of these products can cause severe hypoglycemia in your pet. Clinical signs include vomiting, weakness, ataxia, depression, and seizures. Treatment is based on each individual case, but may include hospitalization, fluid therapy, and glucose monitoring. Ingestion of xylitol can be life threatening.

Bannister Veterinary Clinic

Grape and raisin toxicity

Numerous reports of kidney failure have been documented at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center following ingestion of grapes and raisins. The exact cause of this kidney failure is unknown at this time. Clinical signs include vomiting, anorexia, and depression. Treatment recommendations may include hospitalization, fluid therapy, and urine output monitoring. The prognosis is more favorable if kidney values return to normal within 48 hours.

bottom of page